Subject: Re: ScreamerNet II opertational options
From: John Gross <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Frank Aalbers <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 23:15:07 -0700 (PDT)

> >computer . Even if your drive is in the same computer we don't use the
> >home drive name (like C: or D:) But the network name of it . 
> 
> 	Ah-HAH!  I was starting to suspect that is the secret of painless 
> ScreamerNet operation:  you ALWAYS work off of the P:, Q:, R:, etc, no?
> 
> 	I wasn't even sure that was possible on the local machine.

It is not recommended to access a hard drive on a computer by sharing it 
and attaching to the network name (on the same machine) it bogs down 
across the "net". Painless Screamernetting comes from having your content 
dir on a server drive that is mapped to *all* machines with the same letter.

Another solution is to name the content directory one one machine with a 
drive letter that is not used by the other systems and then map it to the 
other systems using the same drive letter (very nice trick if I say so 
myself). That is how I have my PC and Alpha set up at home. The Alpha 
main drive is F: and I map to F; on the PC. Since F: is my main content 
directory, everything works great. (You can get creative in how the SN 
config files are written as well to make sure that they see the proper 
content dirs across a net, but it's easieast to have a single common 
drive letter used)

JG
--
John Gross <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]